Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hot Springs + Waterfall = Waterful Weekend

More pics from last weekend's trip to Arenal, hot springs, waterfall, and Monteverde cloud forest. (I know I know. I'm working on it!)

Our group AFTER the long hike DOWN to the waterfall - La Catarata Fortunada (catarata is the same as cascada. they both mean waterfall). These were the brave ones who strayed from the path; hence, the ferocious pose. It amazes me to see so much green and rock in the same place. Brandon, no wonder you loved CR!

Foliage.
Let's face it, it's hard to take a great photo when you're sweating, hiking, and being attacked by bugs, while it's raining....Welcome to CR!


This was the path/hike down to the waterfall. Thankfully, most of it was this type of weird paving stone - I guess it's sort of like cement blocks cuz there are holes cut out that are just filled with mud. But let me tell you, my thighs were burning after this! Haha. The COLD water was definitely appreciated. However, I did not look forward to the climb back up!

I really loved the mural at our hotel that had all the "Costa Rican" elements. Name of hotel? Luigis. Yes, random Italian name in CR. Alright, we're gonna go with it...

Looking out over the hot springs that we went to on Friday (June 9) night. I had a great time there! Except for losing the key to my locker...Not my fault, but it was a bit stressful. Other than that, I enjoyed the 14 different little pools and the waterslide! I just wish it would've actually been NATURAL. The water came from a natural hot source and was different tempurates based on how far they had piped it. The pools were all made out of rock, but the were created for this purpose; they weren't just naturally chillin there. They actually drained the pools every night for cleaning and then somewhat purified the water. I'm not understanding the "natural part".... Guess I'm a purist, tho.
Regardless, we had the most beautiful view of the stars ever. Minimal light pollution because we were up in the mountains and only a few hot springs resorts were around. I could've stayed there forever. Hot springs Friday night, Waterfall Saturday morning. So much water, so happy. What more could I ask for? But I am part fish...
We hoped to see the lava flow from Volcano Arenal, but alas, it was cloudy...

No comments:

Post a Comment