Monday, July 5, 2010

Lunch & Orientation

First, Mrs. Roupe:
You wanted to know the weather: it's horrendously humid and muggy and bug-y. I didn't know there could be so much humidity in the air without it cosntantly raining (though it does rain every day for an hour or 2 because it's the winter/rainy season). If I could think of more diction words for you, I would. Suffice it to say that is similar to being in the deep south in the summer.

Now, Lunch:

Nuestro almuerza hoy/ Our lunch today. We ate at a MEXICAN restaurant in COSTA RICA! But it was similar to Mexican food in the U.S., which is Tex-Mex. So it was Tex-Mex-Costa?? No se/I don't know. It was very yummy though. We had pico de gallo, cilantro, chopped onions, fresh lime (yumm, why don't we use this more in the US? They put it on EVERYTHING here!), and fresh tortillas...

To be accompanied by 4 different kinds of meat, refried beans, and guacamole. Finally, I am somewhere that appreciates my love for avacados! Que fabuloso! They said they took us there because we'll be sick of gallopinto by the end of our 5 weeks. Guess I'll tell you later. I was just excited to NOT be eating chicken and rice......
Orientation
It was pretty good. The usual. Basically what I expected. I had my oral placement exam today for my Spanish test. The woman who tested me was very nice and calm; she put me at ease, so I was able to do pretty well. My housemate and I are actually in the same class. We got our Veritas IDs today, too. Wonderful, high-tech photos, let me tell you...
Had a little tour of San Jose. Learned it's not the safest place to be alone (like all big cities)... But I also found tons of cultural places I'd like to visit :) the anthropologist in me was happy

Tomorrow is the first day of classes, so I might have less time to write... I'm looking forward to starting so I can get a feel for how things are going to go. There's also extra "activities" we can do. I think we'd call them extracuriculars in the US. Anyway, I'm hoping to take Costa Rican cooking, dance class (I can learn to salsa, merangue [sp?], and samba. That's right - be jealous!), and maybe even the martial arts/self-defense class because a couple of other AIFS (my study abroad program) students are taking it. In case you can't tell, I'm most excited about these and the prospect of exploring the city...
So wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie!
    If it's any consolation, the weather here in Bradford has been very humid as well - 94 degrees! Can you believe it! Just a week ago it was 37 degrees at 6 am. However, we do get some relief at night (I think it went down to 60)
    Your abode looks nice and the food looks delish! I've always loved Mexican and what you pictured is sort of like that.
    I am interested in your classes. Let me know what they are like- especially the "extra" ones. Cooking sounds like that would be great - you can sample everything! The dancing classes would be great fun as well.
    Your diction words are accurate but the pictures of that good food are worth a thousand words. Thanks for sharing.
    Take care and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's totally spelled merengue... Since you were wondering!
    It looks like you're already having an awesome time, my love!
    Wish I could've been there a couple more days to greet you!

    <3

    ReplyDelete