Tuesday, July 27, 2010

This past weekend

Well, on Saturday, we (7 ppl from my AIFS group) went to Isla Tortuga - Turtle Island, where I thought we were going to see turtles. Silly me, there aren't any turtles to be found. In fact, the island got it's name because it is SHAPED LIKE a turtle. Which is also very cool. It took us a 2 hour bus ride followed by a 2 hour boat ride (we left at 6 am) to get there to spend 5 hours on the island and then another 2 1/2 hour boat ride and 2 1/2 hour bus ride home. So it was a LOOOONNNNNGGG day, to say the least. But it was VERY VERY fun! The bus was nice and comfy, so I napped. And the boat was good because we sat outside, so I didn't get sick. I looked like a moron because I had to protect myself from the sun via any means possible (I still got a little burnt on the top of my legs...), but the ride was enjoyable. O, and we had to combat a fleet of wasps - which wasn't so fun. Emily was our resident "bee killer" so she kept us safe. I really think she managed to kill a whole hive one wasp at a time. We took a video of the craziness and carnage. I'm sure it'll be quite hilarious to watch!

This island is a huge tourist destination, but it's still relatively untouched. There was 1 tourist shop, 1 restaurant, and 1 set of bathrooms - all owned by the tour company who took us there. Other than that, it's natural. I LOVED IT!! Anybody want to help me buy an island retreat? Lol. But it was just so peaceful and beautiful. We wanted to go snorkeling, but the timing didn't work out; I didn't really feel let down, tho, because the water wasn't all that clear. But it was a nice beach with lots of coral, rocks, and shells to be found. And the water was "persuasive" - our word of the day because it wasn't aggressive, but it wasn't still either. It was rather enjoyable and relaxing. We went kayaking, too. So, my 1st kayaking experience was IN THE OCEAN IN COSTA RICA. Not too shabby. I kept up w/ the other girls, tho, so I was proud even tho I discovered that I truly have no upper body strength (or coordination - thank you soccer). I def want to try kayaking again at home (preferably not in the ocean).

Sunday, we once again rose at an un-Godly hour (if the sun's not up, I shouldn't be either) to go to the beach. O, la playa, the things I do for you. We took an 1 1/2 bus ride to Jaco (pronounced "Ha-co") and then spent the day being fried. Literally. It was HOT HOT HOT. My FEET are sunburnt. The rest of me is fine. But my feet and legs, not so good... It was fun tho becuase this beach reminded us of Jersey (2 girls are from Jersey, and that's where I always go to the beach). The beach was a bit gritty and rocky and the ocean/waves were very aggressive. There was no wading. There was being pummeled, however. Who knew we could find a bit of home in CR?

It turned out to be a very hot, sunny, sandy, salty, and wonderful weekend. Yay for independent traveling!

No comments:

Post a Comment